Welcome to HackIllinois!
From its inception, HackIllinois has ventured out into the unknown on a mission to build an exceptional and creative hacking culture. This starts with fostering an environment of innovation and impact.
At HackIllinois, we believe in three core values:
- Encouraging students to explore their creativity
- Empowering students to create meaningful additions to the field of technology
- Building a community of peers and mentors
In the span of 36 hours, our hackers are challenged to innovate, design and achieve.
To do so, we are focusing on building HackIllinois as an exciting, non-traditional experience for students. This year, we are introducing three initiatives of HackIllinois:
- Software@HackIllinois equips students with the tools, mentors and APIs they need to develop creative mobile and web applications.
- Hardware@HackIllinois helps both beginner and experienced hackers create a new generation of hardware technology.
- OpenSource@HackIllinois is a brand new hackathon format that brings together open source gurus (like Jay Freeman aka Saurik) and hackers to build on projects and give back to the developer community.
At any time during the event, hackers are permitted to switch between the three initiatives.
Note that, to maintain the ultimate goal of encouraging growth and development in the Open Source community, OpenSource@HackIllinois will not be supplemented by a monetary prize.
Information about the judging criteria and process can be found here.